Thursday, December 4, 2008

Swimming Career -Coach

I started to learn swimming at the age of 16 from a swimmer friend. He taught me to swim Breast Stroke and I started to love swimming and swim regularly. I was active in running and x country and that helped me a lot during competition. After few months, I took part in the school annual competition and won the 50 Breast Stroke event under the "Beginner" category and was enrolled into the school team. I later joined the school water polo team. I did not have a formal coach as a competitive swimmer.

I attended the Life Saving course in 1979

In 1985, I took the Swimming Instructor course(NCAP Level 1) and started to share my swimming experience with those who like to swim.





I completed my Certificate in Coaching(Basic) NCAP Level 2 course in 1987 and was attached to PAYSC for my coaching practical under Mr Kee Soon Bee.


After attending the Coaching course, I volunteered my service to the Republic of Singapore Navy(RSN) as their Swimming Coach. RSN became Champion in 1989 in the Singapore Arm Forces Sports Association (SAFSA) Swimming Meet.



The Navy Team remain the King of the pool until today(2008)






I was appointed Head Coach of SAFSA Swim Team in 1989, SAFSA Swim Team emerged as Champion for the first time in 1991.










I spent quite a great deal of my time in building the Team. I also apply Sports science such as Physiology, Psychology, Nutrition, Strength and conditioning to ensure the team are well prepared for competition. In 2003, the team won both the Men and Women categories for the first time.

I volunteered my coaching service to Singapore Amatuer Swimming Association Branch(central) as a Coach from 1991 to 2006. I was appointed Coach, Head Coach and Team Manger for SSA Branch for both local and regional meet.











I attended OLYMPIC Solidarity course from 15 - 20 Nov 94 which was conducted by Mr Bill Sweetenham.




National Appointments
Coach:



Coach for SEA Age Group 1993





Coach for International Age Group Invitation 1995

Contingent Coach for XXI SEA Games in 2001.



In 2002, I was awarded the SAFSA Best coach of the year for successfully defending the Public Service Swimming Championships title for 11 consecutive years. I was named the Best Coach of the year again in 2003.







I completed my Certificate in Coaching(NCAP Level 3) in 2002 and I also received the Elite Performance Level Coaching Course(EPL) Certification in 2002.
I was accredited Master Coach - Swimming(NCAP Level 3) in 2003.
I received Certificate of Appreciation for my 15 years of service to SSA Branch as Coach and Technical Official from Mr Tan Eng Chai, VP Swimming SSA


Team Manager:
Assistant Team Manager for International Age Group Invitation 1995

Team Manager SEA Age Group 2002
Team Manager Queensland State Swimming Championship 2003

Team Manager Hong Kong Open Swimming Championship 2006

No comments: